Hypertension – what is blood pressure?
- The heart is a very powerful pump that beats steadily.
- The pressure created by the heart to pump the blood through the blood vessels is called blood pressure
- When the heart muscle contracts the blood surges through the arteries – this is when the systolic (upper) blood pressure value occurs
- The diastolic (lower) value is the resting pressure before the heart contracts again
- Ideally your blood pressure should be below 140/85 mmHg
There are approximately 16 million people in the UK with high blood pressure, however nearly two thirds are not aware of the fact, which is understandable when there are no symptoms. However, if left, high blood pressure can lead to strokes and heart problems.
Every Omron blood pressure monitor is tested for accuracy against the clinical guidelines for measuring blood pressure that are specified by the European Society of Hypertension. A clinically validated monitor means that it has undergone tests conducted by independent doctors according to a predetermined protocol, which includes ensuring the accuracy of the measurements (algorithm) of the blood pressure monitors.